Friday, April 4, 2014

How To Paint Your Trim


how to paint your trim

I don't know about most of you but I am not a fan of 80's orange wood. I know most of the trim and cabinets in our house were updated in the 90's, but it's still the 80's orange color and I'm not feelin' it at all. I decided that the trim needed to be white no matter how much Chris thought I was dumb for wanting to have white trim since we live on a gravel road and it'll look dirtier....right, because having dirty trim and not being able to see it is so much better.


The doors and cabinets will not be painted white for reasons I can't discuss, but let's just say, I'm not "allowed" to. My plan is to eventually stain all the kitchen cabinets and doors a dark espresso color.

Anyways, back to transforming the horribly ugly trim to a glorious white.

First, if your trim is shiny I would give it a good sanding to rough it up a little. Our trim was older so it didn't have much of a glossy finish anymore, plus I'm super lazy and sanding just isn't my thing.

Second, wipe down all of the trim to get dust, dirt, grease, bugs, or whatever may be stuck to them off. I used baby wipes because again I'm lazy and I had them on hand. Baby wipes are easy to use for this purpose and then just throw them away so there's no clean-up afterwards.

Third, time to get to painting! After a few rooms, I've determined what works best for coverage on our trim. I do 2 coats of primer then 1 coat of paint. I tried 1 coat of primer but then I had to do 3 coats of paint so not only do I get to save money since primer is cheaper than paint, but I also have to do one less coat.

For primer I used INSL-X Aqua Lock Plus that I bought from a local Benjamin Moore Store:


Aqua Lock Primer
get more information about this primer on the  INSL-X website
This primer is awesome. It adheres really good to the wood and isn't too thick (or thin for that matter) and makes painting a breeze. Like I said, I do 2 coats of primer.

After the first coat of primer:

painting trimpainting trim


After the second coat of primer:

painting trimpainting trim




For the paint I used Benjamin Moore Advance in Satin finish. I wanted a true white for the trim so I didn't have the paint tinted.

Benjamin Moore Advance Paint
get more information about this paint on Benjamin Moore's website

In this next picture, the wood that's vertical has 2 coats of primer along with the trim that is to the left. The trim to the right has been painted (and is wet), just a comparison shot to see the difference.


painting trim
 
This is seriously the best paint I have ever used. It's water-based so it has all the awesome features of easy clean-up, etc. BUT it has the characteristics of a traditional oil based paint so application is a breeze and the finished product is smooth. This paint also has leveling properties to insure that you aren't able to see any brush marks when it's dry.

After 2 coats of primer and 1 coat of paint - the finished product:

painting trim
 
painting trim

painting trim



I would highly recommend these products to anyone who's looking to paint trim, cabinets, or any wood product. The results have been fantastic for me!

And for the awesome before and after shots of the office:




painting trim

 

painting trim
 
 
painting trim
 
 
painting trim
 



Here's a shot of the living room wall with the Moroccan style stencil wall of a before and after of the painted trim.

painting trim

painting trim
Doesn't it look so much better and so sharp! So far I've gotten the office, living room, master bedroom, and the little hall to the master bedroom completed. I've got a long way to go to get this whole house updated with white trim but I'm just taking it one room at a time :)


Have a fabulous weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment