Friday, March 7, 2014

DIY Peacock Color Inspired Canvas Painting

Happy Friday!

So back when I was dreaming up the all the plans and ideas I had for decorating our house, the one thing I knew I wanted was to incorporate peacock colors. I've had a serious love for the combination of the teals, blue, greens, purple, gold and how well they all look together.

So I decided that this peacock color combination would be perfect in my living as accent colors for decorating against light grey walls.

Once I found the perfect color for the walls (will be coming in a later post), I began to look around for decorations and wall décor.

I was having an incredibly hard time finding a large print that incorporated peacock colors that wasn't actually a picture of a peacock. I eventually found one that I liked and thought I could settle with it until I saw that was $500.....um, hell no.

That's when I decided that I'm going to DIY my own peacock color canvas, well at least I was going to try!



I first tried to find one big sized canvas that would fit well in to the space but they were pretty expensive and I wasn't so sure this project was going to be a hit so I wanted to be cheap about it. I headed to Wal-Mart and bought 2 - 6 packs of 8x10 white canvases for around $10 each (similar). Then I went to the acrylic paint isle and I picked out a few different colors of paint that I wanted to use then I headed home eagerly ready to dominate this project.

I had found this picture online that I wanted to use as my inspiration picture. I wasn't looking to make an exact replica of the picture, I just liked the lines  and design.
**I did not save the original link to this picture and cannot read the watermark. I am not taking credit for this picture and if anyone has the original website that I could link back to, please let me know what it is*
 
I decided that I wanted to use 9 of the 12 canvases and I was going to space them 1/4 - 1/2 inch apart when hung so it looked like a big picture but was many small canvases put together that were 3x3.

So I started by taking all 9 canvases and painting them white. I did this because I knew the canvas would absorb a lot of color for its first coat and I didn't want to waste a bunch of the color paint that was more expensive than the white paint was.

white painted canvas
painted white, waiting for them to dry

 
Next I put the 9 pieces as close together as I could get them so that when I stated painting, I would be painting it as one big picture:
white painted canvas
 
 
Now the fun starts, adding all the beautiful colors and making it actually look like a piece of art!
 
DIY peacock colored canvas painting
 
I would just pick up a color and decide where it should go and painted away and I kept this process going so it didn't look so planned and thought out.
 
DIY peacock colored canvas painting
 
The picture below is what I ended up with when I decided to call it quits and go to bed. The paint was really wet and wasn't blending very well so I was only making it worse and I decided I'd let it dry overnight and finish the next day.
 
DIY peacock colored canvas painting
 
 
When I went to finish the canvas I looked at it for awhile to decide what I wanted it to look like in the end and what I needed to do to accomplish that look. First, I started by blending the colors more where they meet and then I did some fun splatters and lines.
DIY peacock colored canvas painting
 I thought I was finished but then I decided I needed to do just a bit more blending which left me with this:


 
 
 
And drum roll please.........
 
The final product that is dry, signed, and hung on the wall in our living room!
 

DIY Peacock Canvas Painting
 
 
 
I am so in love with how this turned out and I think it makes a great focal point in our living room. I've gotten a lot of great compliments from people visiting and I truly appreciate it because I'm not at all an artist!
The total cost of the project was about $27 for the canvases and paint. I already had some brushes on hand but if you didn't they're probably be around $3 at Wal-Mart.
 
What do y'all think, is it a little too crazy for your taste? Or do you love it? Let me know in the comments and don't be shy about trying a DIY canvas painting yourself, it's really not hard at all!



No comments:

Post a Comment